Azure SQL Migration
Move your SQL servers to the cloud with our worry-free migration services. Our engineers can optimize your cloud strategy and ensure your migration goes smoothly. We are a Microsoft Gold Partner and have been helping mid-sized firms around the globe since 1996.
Contact us today to discuss your migration
Benefits of moving to Azure SQL database
- Easy to scale up and down based on usage and performance
- Only pay for what you use
- Monitor database utilization and performance
- Autotuning feature optimizes for frequent running for enhanced performance
- Database backups are all managed in Azure
Azure SQL Migration Case Study
The client is a mission organization which aims to educate, empower, restore and redeem disadvantaged children, families, and communities to transform lives. Their portal is a web-based application built on Asp.net MVC that consists of various modules like student management, sponsorship management, procurement management, action item alerts, progress tracking and reporting.
With surging demand, there is a potential for their application users to grow 10x in the next 3-5 years. By predicting the growth, we can spend more on the system resources right now or we need to upgrade the resources in a short time once the resource hit the maximum utilization. Our objective is to spend based on resource usage and there should also be a possibility to scale up or scale down the resources as and when required.
MoHI hired us to enhance the performance of the existing application, and move the application and its back-end SQL server database to the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
UBTI Azure Expertise
Our team conducted the following research before migrating them from SQL Server 2012 to Azure SQL database.
- Some features and functions in SQL server are not available in Azure SQL. We used Azure Data Migration Assistant to identify potential compatibility issues.
- Establish how to address compatibility issues with cross database references, database emails, etc.
- Identify the most used connections so we can configure the Azure SQL database to avoid latency issues. Evaluate whether geo-replication is required for application and database usage.
- Azure SQL database follows UTC time, even if it is hosted in a different time zone. We made the necessary adjustments for uniformity in data before and after migration.
- Identify the alternative approach for SQL Agent jobs.
- Databases with more extract, transform, load (ETL) operations using SSIS require an evaluation prior to moving into Azure. In this case, we used Azure Data Factory and Azure Logic Apps can be used to rewrite SSIS packages.
- Identify the current usage of SQL server and the scale in which it needs to be migrated. Pinpointing the correct scale will help us estimate the cost of the SQL Database.
- Select the necessary environments for the client in Azure. Each database in Azure SQL will cost the same if we go with the same single instance database for all. Our team evaluates the usage of each environment and scales the resources based on the requirements.
- Locate the environments where an elastic pool database can be created to have better resource utilization and reduce expenses.
- Identify the list of security measures required for Azure SQL database and the best ways to establish a connection between Azure SQL database and application.
Contact us today to learn more or request a demo.